Saturday, March 7, 2009

Teaching is tough business

i'm currently tutoring a middle-aged woman to speak English. She is classified as a "false beginner" meanings she's have had English instructions before she just wasnt listening. I think teaching "Real Beginners" is much much easier. Now i'm going crazy about what to do with the lesson but I'm praying for Devine Guidance...it's that tough!

Or maybe i'm just saying this because this is my first time. But i don't want to be mediocre at it I really want her to learn and so she can be confident and independent when she goes to Sweden!

*sigh* I don't want to be a lousy teacher. I'd break if she wont make any progress. But I think I'm being tough on myself. This morning was the first session we had. I walked her through the basics, no hard stuff. I mean I got the lessons online and custom-fitted it for her. I used illustrations and all. It used to be that I was so good at making the most clueless person get an idea about what is being discussed. My classmates in college seek me out when they had tough time understanding something. I haven't been in that route for like a couple of years after college so this situation right now is also something of a help to me. I am also learning along the way. I never expected teaching to be easy but still...

"The anticipation of pain is more painful than pain itself."

No comments: