Wednesday, September 30, 2009

if only (for Muelmer Magallanes who died saving others in need)

I don't know you until I read about you in a Philippine Star article. Tears flowed freely as I went through with the article, even now tears wail from my eyes as I hope to write about you. You're still eighteen. You're working in construction sites when you should be attending school. It pains me to think that when I was your age I was in school hardly doing my best to make the most out of what my parents have afforded me. Meanwhile there you are... I don't know if you've graduated from high school all i know is that poverty drove you to work instead of stay in school.

And now you will forever be immortalized for your heroism, for your selfless act. You deserved more than a post-humous recognation, those things can never bring you back. Only God can give you your reward now. Meanwhile, what i can do is to pray for your family and for our ailing country...

If only our country's leaders are as half as heroic as you, you're probably still alive today and attending school, not working to help your parents nor living in a dangerous area nor caught by surprise by a sudden flood that forced you to go beyond what's asked of you and died as a result. If only they did their part like you did yours all these heartache and pain would've never happened. You deserve so much more...

I'm sorry what this cruel world caused you but i thank you so much for showing me, us, the world what a hero can do, what an ordinary person like you can do if only he will do what is right for others...

Muelmer you will forever live. I dont know you until your name was posted in a news report but because of you I now know what i wish to do... Thank you.

No comments: